Belize is welcoming travelers again, with a Tourism Gold Standard program in place designed to keep you safe and recognized as one of the top in the world. See our Health & Safety page for up-to-date details related to COVID-19 vaccinations, testing requirements and everything else you need to know in order to have the Belize vacation of your dreams.
If you’re like the rest of us, the start of a new year is often accompanied by re-assessing life and aiming to do better than the year before. Yes, the dreaded New Year’s resolutions – made with the best of intention at the start of the year and often neglected a few months after. To travel more is an annual fixture on everyone’s list that often goes unfulfilled. But with several airlines flying to Belize from major cities, lying in a hammock with a tropical drink in hand is no longer a daydream.
Here are five worthwhile resolutions that are easily fulfilled on a trip to Belize.
- Go Slow. This is the mantra of the cozy, picturesque island of Caye Caulker and a challenge we should all accept. Paddle board along the coast or simply people watch sipping rum cocktails at The Split. Take an early morning road trip on the scenic Hummingbird Highway and try to spot the famous Sleeping Giant. If you’re looking to unwind after an adventure-filled day then a sunset cruise or a chocolate body wrap is a relaxing end. Life moves at an unhurried pace when you’re in the tropics teaching us to slow down and take pleasure in doing little to nothing.
- Enjoy the little things. Yet, another advice we can all put into practice more often. Ever wonder where locals get their warm and carefree temperament from? Living in a tropical paradise is a plus but so is understanding that life is too short to fuss about things beyond your control. Belize is all about simple living and finding joy in priceless experiences. You’re on vacation, take time to marvel at seeing the Great Blue Hole , feel the warmth of a Caribbean Sunset or the taste a delicious Garifuna dish in real life.
- Connect with Nature. Shades of greens and blues teaming with wildlife abound in Belize making this easily done. Various eco-resorts bring nature into your stay. Furthermore, jungle tours and nature-based adventures are plastered everywhere you go. Conserving nature is also at the forefront in Belize with National Geographic listing Belize as one of the Amazing Journeys to take in 2022 for creating the 236,000-acre Belize Maya Reserve. If you’re an animal lover, be sure to stop in at the Belize Zoo to spot Belize’s two national animals.
- Learn something new. There are adventures and experiences to satisfy almost every type of traveler. Are you interested in learning how to prepare a traditional dish? Take Garifuna or Maya cooking lesson! Have you always wanted to learn to dive? Get PADI certified in Belize. Have you always wanted to take up birding as a hobby? Welcome to a birder’s haven. Even if you don’t do any of these, you’re still bound to leave having learned a thing or two you didn’t know before.
- Take the off-beaten path. Here, you are limited only by your sense of adventure. Bucket list gems such as swimming with sharks and exploring ATM cave are a must, but there are also other enriching and less touristy experiences to be had. Participating in a Maya spiritual healing ceremony, visiting a butterfly farm or touring a traditional Mennonite community are just a few off-the-beaten path experiences to weave into your Belize itinerary.
Let this year be the year that you keep your resolutions, make lasting positive changes and finally take that once in a lifetime trip to Belize.