The tiny island of Caye Caulker has won the hearts of many, with its sandy streets and sans-traffic, it’s easy to lounge all day without getting bored. It seems many people – visitors and locals alike – seem to think so, too. As last year’s National Tourism Awards rolled around, a new category was added, with Caye Caulker taking home its title of “Destination of the Year.”
This award was voted on by the public, by Caye Caulker residents, those who were tourists at La Isla Cariñosa, or any general fan of the tiny island. Though it’s easy to see why Caye Caulker should win such an esteemed prize, here’s a reminder.
- Killer Sunsets. Sunsets at the Split to the north of the island is unike anywhere else in the Caribbean. The fiery red sky coupled with pelicans swooping low above the waves make for a more than memorable ending to your day.
- No rush, no worry. The ubiquitous island motto is ‘Go Slow’ for a reason; quicken your pace and a local is sure to reminder you that you’re here to relax and take your time. Be sure to heed his advice!
- Pups Galore. The island of many dogs. Most of the pups roaming about have owners, but it’s normal for them all to be exploring the island on their own, just like you! But beware, if you spare a pet or two for their fuzzy heads, you’ll want to take them home with you!
- Artist’s Palette. Another feature that is wholly Caye Caulker’s, is its signature colorful houses. From homes and hotels to restaurants and dive shops, the plethora of color continues all throughout the island.
- Beach for days. Of course, the main attraction at this small caye is that it’s surrounded by the warm Caribbean Sea. Spend your days jumping off the diving board at the Split or nursing a beer at one of the over-the-water palapas. Definition of paradise!
- Hub for tours. While an island, there are many things to do on and off Caye Caulker. The mainland is a mere 1.5-hour boat ride away, and the infamous island of Ambergris Caye is about 40 minutes away. You can book snorkeling tours to Hol Chan Marine reserve, or take the short boat ride to Belize City and do a city tour.
For more information on things to do in Caye Caulker, email us at [email protected] or call us toll-free at1-800-624-0686.