Belize, fondly called the “Jewel”, boasts a rich array of natural wonders and is proudly known for its unique and diverse culture. It is a perfect escape; bordered to the east by the beautiful Caribbean Sea and second largest living Barrier Reef dotted with hundreds of beautiful cayes and rich marine life and dense pristine jungles to the west, Belize is a destination unlike any other.
With its bountiful beauty, adventure, laid-back atmosphere and inviting people, Belize is known as a destination of choice for expatriates. You don’t have to be retired – or even of retirement age – to take advantage of The Qualified Retired Person Program. However, you must be 45 years or older and currently benefiting from a retirement income.
- Any person 45 years or older
- Must be the beneficial recipient of a retirement income of $2K monthly or $24K annually generated from a source outside of Belize in an approved foreign currency [US Dollar, Pound Sterling, The Euro and Canadian Dollars].
- Must be able to remain in Belize for a minimum of 30 consecutive days annually.
Program Incentives + Benefits
Any person who has been accepted into the QRP Program is entitled to the following under the Belize Retired Persons Incentives Act
- Belize Residency Status
- Duty Exemptions
- Tax Exemptions
- Ease of purchasing land
- Dependent Benefits
Retire and Invest
Did you know a QRP member can now invest in Belize?
Completed Application forms and the list of supporting documents for applicant and each dependent can be submitted electronically to our QRP Specialist Romy Rancharan at firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed directly to the Belize Tourism Board’s office located at #64 Regent Street, Belize City, C.A.
Duty + Tax Exemption Procedures
Household + Personal Effects
- A master shipping list of household and personal effects must be presented to the BTB three weeks prior to the importation of said effects for approval and preparation of the official Duty Exemption Letter *include sample master list
- Multiple entries are permitted only within the first year from official entry into the Program
- Household and personal effects are as determined by the Belize Customs & Excise Department
- A Certificate of Registration, Title or Bill of Sale must be presented to the BTB three weeks prior to importation for approval and preparation of the official Duty Exemption Letter
- Vehicle model can be no older than five years in order to qualify for duty and tax exemption
- Every four (4) years thereafter, upon proof of proper disposal of the means of transportation previously imported, to import a new approved means of transportation for personal use
A QRP properly disposes of an approved means of transportation if:
- (a) he exports the approved means of transportation from Belize
- (b) sells, gives, leases or otherwise disposes of the approved means of transportation to another person within Belize and proves that all the import duties and taxes have been duly paid
- (c) proves that the approved means of transportation has been lost or otherwise rendered unserviceable through theft, fire or accident.
Vessel + Light Aircraft
- Certificate of Registration, Title or Bill of Sale must be presented to the BTB three weeks prior to importation for approval and preparation of the official Duty Exemption Letter