Caye Caulker vs. Ambergris Caye
Oh, the island giants gracing our Caribbean Sea; a topic of frequent hot debate in our Instagram Q&As. Which one is better: Caye Caulker or San Pedro?
We might be biased, but would you really compare Orange Walk tacos with Cayo barbecue? They’re both to-die-for dishes but it wouldn’t be fair to pit them against each other. The same goes for these idyllic islands that attract tourists year-round. The true question isn’t which one should you visit, but which one is right for you?
- Love traipsing around on your own two (bare) feet
- Appreciate colorful street life
- Prefer to go to bed to the sound of sea breeze and waves
- Make friends with fourlegged good boys everywhere you go
- Like to ride bicycles
- Prefer to relax with a drink in hand at the beach while watching the sunset
Then ding! ding! ding! Caye Caulker is for you. With only a couple of nightclubs on the island, your entertainment is mostly one you make yourself. Visit this island if you’re all about relaxing and taking in pastel-colored houses. You can still take day tours from the island, like Shark Ray Alley or the Manatee Tour, but mostly it’s about rejuvenation and slowing down time to enjoy the little tropical things in life.
- Are a night owl and like a good outing
- Have a special place in your heart for highend lounges
- Prefer to fall asleep to the cacophony of people having a great time
- Have an affinity for hidden beaches
- Want to experience driving your own golf cart
- Go barhopping while meeting people from all around the world
Then congratulations, you might as well move here already. The Isla Bonita is known for its pulsating nightlife and impeccable gastronomy. Take a walk in the main part of town that is chock-full of art shops and cute cafés. Or rent a golf cart and make your way to Secret Beach (you might even spot Leo DiCaprio!)
Love to do every single thing on this list, well why not visit both? Stay in Caye Caulker where the lodging is cheaper and make a day trip out to San Pedro for the must-do food tour. Or spend a couple nights at each island so for next time you will know which one you prefer. Either way, you’re bound to fall in love with one (though something tells us you’ll love both!)
For more information on Belize’s North Islands feel free to email us at email@example.com or call us toll-free at 1-800-624-8606.