Travel Tip: Finish Your Central America Tour with a Week in Tropical Belize
Are you planning to make a tour through colorful Central America? Whatever the destination of your next tour may be, in many cases, it is possible to add an affordable unknown piece of paradise to your trip and relax for a week on one of the dream beaches of Belize. Read here all about it and how to arrange it!
Why go to Belize?
This gorgeous little country, which borders with Mexico and Guatemala, has a very relaxed Caribbean atmosphere. You will find innumerable dream beaches on the dozens of small coral islands in front of the coast. But also an enchanting inland where you can go trekking through the jungle or look for the remains of the ancient Maya culture.
For nature lovers and scuba divers, the underwater world off the coast of Belize is also a real treat. Here you will find, among other things, the famous Blue Hole and the unique Belize Barrier Reef, which is after Australia’s Barrier Reef the second biggest reef. Here you can snorkel with endangered sea turtles and discover hundreds of colorful tropical fish species.
Combine Mexico and/or Guatemala with Belize
From Mexico and Guatemala, there are many different options to extend your trip with a few days or a week in Belize.
- There are regular flights from Cancún to Belize City with Tropic Air, among others (from approximately €200).
- You can also rent a car in Cancún and drive to Belize. In approximately 5 hours, you will drive to the port city of Chetumal in Yucatan. From here, the water taxi will take you for about €65 in 1.5 hours to the town of San Pedro on the island of Ambergris Caye (la Isla Bonita from the song of Madonna).
- There are also regular flights from Mexico City to Belize City with Aeromexico, among others.
Budget travelers often choose for a bus journey through Chetumal and Corozal. A unique experience where you get to see a lot of the country.
From Guatemala, you can also choose a trip by plane, car, bus, or boat to Belize.
- If you want to travel from Belize to Tikal in Guatemala with a rental car, you can contact Belize Crystal Car Rental. It is a journey of approximately 230 kilometers, counting on 3.5 hours travel time.
- Highly recommended is the ferry trip from Livingstone to the beautiful south of Belize and the town of Punta Gorda.
- There are also direct flights to Belize City from Flores, Antigua, and Guatemala City. The flight time is only 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Combine Belize with Panama and Costa Rica
- Now that KLM flies directly to Panama in just over 10 hours, the combination of Belize and Panama is even more attractive. With a short flight of 2 hours and 20 minutes, Copa Airlines will take you from Panama directly to Belize.
- Tip: book your flight between Panama and Belize directly with KLM on your ticket to Panama and save on your ticket price to Belize. This is very simple: in the KLM booker, check the option of multiple flights (where the default is return flight), and you can include extra stops. See: booking multiple flights on 1 ticket.
- Would you like to combine visits to Panama, Costa Rica, and Belize? In that case, it is sometimes more favorable to fly to San Jose in Costa Rica first. Tip: The total trip is usually cheaper if you fly back to Panama first after visiting Belize!
Combine Honduras with Belize
Two countries that are less well known in the Netherlands. And sometimes unknown makes unloved. In the case of Honduras and Belize, that is absolutely not justified!
Both countries also have more in common than you might think at first sight: the beautiful nature, the connection with the ancient Maya culture, and both destinations have beautiful beaches. Moreover, they are also great to combine:
- The most enjoyable way to travel between the two countries is by ferry. This leaves on Fridays from Belize City and Placencia to Puerto Cortes, Honduras. On Monday, the boat returns from Honduras to Belize. The total time for this sailing trip is approximately 3.5 hours.
- If you don’t have that much time or this doesn’t fit your schedule, there are inexpensive local flights.
Author: Rebecca Wijgman